For all ages!
One entry per category (unless otherwise stated)
Enter by August 7
Submit a short story that is between 50-500 words long and title your work.
You choose what you write about! Not sure what to write about? Click here to use this story prompt generator to get you started!
To rhyme or not to rhyme, that is the question. You choose the style of poetry. Create a work written in verse with a minimum of 1 stanza. Unsure of what style of poetry to choose? Click here to learn about different styles of poetry.
Jokes and Riddles
Create a humorous work or brain teaser that is 50 words or less. Not sure where to start? Click here for some good laughs to get you inspired.
Submit a work of 1500 words or less. It can be fiction or creative nonfiction of any genre or form. Examples might be a fantasy story, a mystery, a one-act play, or a personal essay
Participants may enter up to 3 poems no more than 50 lines each in whatever style or form they’d like.
Submit a compelling story of 150 words or fewer on the Summer Reading theme “Tails & Tales”. Micro fiction is a challenging form for many writers, but it’s a great opportunity to push your creativity!
Looking for writing help? Click here for resources on writing Micro Fiction and other writing help.
Submit a piece of prose writing no more than 1500 words long. Any form or genre, whether fiction or creative non-fiction, will be accepted.
Submit up to 3 poems no more than 50 lines each. All styles, forms, or themes will be accepted.
Submit a compelling story in no more than 150 words. Micro fiction submissions should match the Summer Reading theme “Tails & Tales.”
- One entry per category may be submitted unless specified otherwise.
- Submissions must be original and written by the submitter.
- Please double-space your work.
- Participants retain rights to their submissions but grant us allowance to share submissions on the NPL website, NPL Social media. We will not publish your work without further approval.
- Entries will be reviewed anonymously and based on content, originality, and quality of expression.
- Author’s of two selected works from each category will receive a prize and their writing showcased online at nampalibrary.org and Nampa Library social media (Facebook and Instagram).
- Please complete this form for each submission.
- Your submission should be uploaded as a PDF or Word document.
- Children who are unable to type may submit a photo of their written work.